Re: Fuel economy in a Spit.

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fuel economy in a Spit.
From: "Greg Rowe" <growe58@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2001 18:35:58 -0400
>From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
>
>Michael Hargreave Mawson wrote:
>
> > 4-speed manual gearbox (no O/D)
> > Urban driving 29.4 mpg / 9.6 litres/100km
> >
> > 4-speed manual gearbox & O/D
> > Urban driving 28.7 mpg / 9.8 litres/100km
>
>   This seems more inline to what listers are reporting,
>most listers seem to do a little worse but I like to
>think it's because the listers are such "spirited
>drivers". ;>

And of course this is based on the UK model with minimal
emissions and safety gear.

> > In other words, an O/D actually costs you more in fuel in urban driving
>
>   Does the spitfire of that year come with a different
>axle ratio when you have overdrive?
>
>   I guess I'm a little surprised that the OD could cost
>that much mileage, considering it's easily spun by
>hand and easily carried.

It DOES seem strange since the AFAIK the axle ratio, while
changing for different years or markets, was never different
for O/D vs non-O/D within a model year and market.

I'm wondering if the parameters of the test, which were certainly
carefully mandated, somehow influenced the results such as requiring
a shift into O/D 3rd before non-O/D 4th or something.  Of course,
we're only talking about 2 per cent here and it could just be due
to production variances.

Greg Rowe