Re: Engine question

To: "ronny.hortlund" <ronny.hortlund@allset.se>,
Subject: Re: Engine question
From: Richard B Gosling <Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com>
Date: 20 Aug 2001 08:22:57 -0500
Ronny,

It is true that the engines in the 1300, Spitfire and Herald are all basically
 the same unit.  However, there are some detail differences to the tuning.
 Spitfires all had twin SUs, except later US cars that have single Zenith
 Stromberbs.  Other cars had single carbs, I'm not sure what the 1300 would
 have originally had.  It would be a simple enough job to get hold of a
 second-hand intake manifold and a couple of re-built SUs to give yours the
 correct carburation.

The only other difference I could imagine there being would be cams - I'm not
 aware of the different cars having different cams, but it is possible.  You
 would have to have a Spitfire exhaust system on there already, either original
 or after-market, as the 1300 system would not fit (unless the exhaust has been
 custom-bodged by someone).

As for mountings, if Triumph had any sense (and sometimes you have to
 wonder...) the cylinder blocks would have been cast to accept all the
 different mountings that would have been used, to avoid having to cast
 different blocks for each variant.  If your engine is supported on two
 rubber-block mounts, at the very front, about 1/2 way up the side of the
 engine, then your mounts are correct.  There is a 3rd rubber-block mount that
 supports the rear of the gearbox, somewhere below the gear-lever.

Gearbox is likely to be the correct design, so that it will fit both the engine
 and the car.  If the speedo reads correctly, it is likely your diff. is the
 correct one too.

I would stick with the engine personally, as it will be more powerful than the
 1147 originally fitted to your car (especially if you fit the twin SUs) - but
 I'm a person for whom useability is way higher on my priority list than
 originality - each person has their own views on this, and everyone's view is
 as correct as each others.

Richard & Daffy