Rack and Pinion installation

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rack and Pinion installation
From: "Frank Drummond" <frandrum@voicenet.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 22:10:55 -0400
Now that the list is back up-----

Need help with the 72 Spit

Page 97 of my intereurope 200 manual shows a diagram of the rack and pinion
installation that specifies the distance between  the U-bolt clamping fixture
(the thingie that covers the bushing) and the abutment plate that's welded on
the tube that houses the rack as 1/8 inch.  Here's the installation
instruction, "Use Churchhill tool S341 or similar to  push "U-bolt assemblies
outward until 1/8 in. (3.17mm) clearance remains between  "U" bolt bracket
flange"A" and tube flange "A".  Slide plates inboard until edge is against
frame.  Elongate slots further if necessary.  Tighten "U" bolt nuts and remove
spreading tool."

I don't have the Churchill tool.  Has anyone been through this exercise and
how did you compress the bush against the "U" bolt bracket to get down to the
1/8 inch dimension.  I am thinking about fabricating a tool but if there is an
easier way, I wanna go there.

BTW, none of my other manuals seem to worry about this.  My Leyland pub
mentions the Churchill tool but is silent on the distance  and doesn't say
what to do with the tool.  ....(I think I know what to do with the tool.)

Praise the Lord that the list is back up,  or maybe the listers were napping.

Frank D.