motor motor part six - just a few more items

To: (Recipient list suppressed)
Subject: motor motor part six - just a few more items
From: Jeff Gruber <jgruber@demainsoft.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 15:53:31 -0500
I've fixed the coolant leak.

The clutch works, mostly.

And the motor will actually run.  I don't know how that happened with me
rebuilding it, but it did.

I have just a few more things to solve and then I'm -- I hope -- on the
road again.

There is an oil leak at the front of the block.  Right around where that
little aluminum block is wedged into the front of the crankcase with two
little wooden pieces.  You know, the place where I stripped out the threads
completely trying to tighten it before and had to use the part from my old
motor to replace the one I ruined.
I'm terrified at the idea of messing with that aluminum piece again.  I
don't really want to tighten any of the screws or bolts that go into that
piece.  I think would rather live with the leak.  Any opinions?

I'm also still having a little problem with the clutch.  It releases, but I
have only a inch or two before it re-engages.  Any ideas to fix that other
than bleeding it some more?

And then there is the problem that it is hard to start and won't idle.  I'm
not going to try to adjust the carb myself.  I'm going to take this up to
my mechanic and let him figure it out.  Can you tell I'm just about at the
end of my amateur mechanic rope?

Thank you everyone for the help and encouragement on this project.  Without
it, I would have probably pushed my Spitfire over the nearest cliff.

Jeff "Got It Running, but Still Don't Have a Name for It" Gruber