Re: When it rains, it pours...

To: <OC@46thFoot.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: When it rains, it pours...
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 06:20:59 -0400
15-40 too thin for summer?  That's a new one on me.  The 15 side of the
equation is so think it's usually not recommended for winter.  It requires
summer heat to be easily pumpable on a chilly morning.  40 weight is not
exactly heavy oil, but it's not thin either.  Unless you're cooking yourself in
Texas heat or something, the 40 weight side of the spread is quite adeqate.

There are certainly times for a 20-50 weight oil.  But normally most of us
never really see it.

>From what you wrote, it seems that Carly suddenly started blowing smoke.  If
>that's the case, you don't have wear, something broke.

Be very carefull sticking additives in the oil.  Many of them are harmfull.

>>> Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com> 05/31 1:50 AM >>>

Carly's latest trick is blowing pale blue smoke. :-(   I immediately
started thinking about piston ring replacement, and honing of cylinder
bores, but my mechanic (bless him) has instead suggested thicker oil!
For the moment I've stuck in some additive, and will see how we get on,
but can anyone confirm or debunk the idea that 15W40 is too thin for
summer driving?   The manual seems to suggest that it should be OK,