Re: idea

To: Andre Rousseau <andrer@mac.com>
Subject: Re: idea
From: reed mideke <rfm@cruzers.com>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 16:54:50 -0700
Andre Rousseau wrote:

> ok, here is something I'm thinking, is it possible my battery is boiling?
>
> Could my generator be over powering the battery causing it too heat up
> and push out the battery acid?

Yes, I've had this happen. I'm not sure the 'boiling' is actually
from being boiling water hot, or just bubbling vigorously from
over-charge.

> Is there any way for me to test this idea?

Hook up a volt meter, and rev the car. If it goes over about 14.5,
it will 'boil' the battery.

I don't know about your area, but around here most of the
automotive chains stores will test your charging system for
free.
> I plan to clean up the battery area and then put the battery back in and
> drive, then I will check too see if the batt. is hot.
>
> from there I dont know what to do...

Adjust or replace the regulator. Haynes or workshop manual should
have instructions. If you have neither, I'm sure someone on this
list would be able to quote them to you.

--
Reed Mideke
email: rfm(at)cruzers.com  -If that fails:  rfm(at)portalofevil.com

///