Dropping the Front End.

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Dropping the Front End.
From: frandrum@voicenet.com
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 18:10:36 US/Eastern
Hi Listers,

Saturday my son and I pulled the engine of the 72 Spit and took it to be
remanufactured.

Our intent now is to use the five weeks downtime to clean and paint the frame
and firewall
area under the bonnet.  I would like to pull off all the suspension and
steering gear to
have good access to all the nooks and crannies.

I am looking for advice on what to be careful of and how to avoid getting
things so out of
whack that it gets expensive to put it back together.  For example, can I
remove the coil
springs and upper and lower wishbones as a unit?  How about alignment after it
is back
together?

Another issue, if I dismantle everything and decide to take the car to a paint
shop for
the spraying, how do I transport it without the front wheels?  Without the
bonnet and
engine the car seemed very light and easy to move about. Am I naive to think
that without
all the front end suspension and wheels, two people could lift the front end
and roll the
car wheelbarrow style onto a flatbed tow truck for transport?

Appreciate the help folks.

Frank
D.