RE: Noise Diagnostics

To: "Michael Hargreave Mawson" <OC@46thFoot.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Noise Diagnostics
From: "Daniel L Parrott" <parrotthead01@home.com>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 17:52:30 -0400
Sounds like, IMHO, that you got a needle bearing failure in one (or both) of
the rear trunions.  There is no inner race for the inner needle bearing, and
the bearing works directly onto the axel shaft.  I had the same problem a
couple of months ago, a "toka-toka-toka" sound that I heard as I slowed or
speeded up, getting faster until I got to highway speed (when I couldn't
hear much of anything anyway).

I met a vendor named Scott Howell at the Atlanta British Car show in
Braselton, Ga over the weekend.  He had for sale rebuilt trunions that he
has modified to eliminate this design flaw.  For $230 per half-axel (with
yours for exchange), he said that he will modify your trunions, drilling out
the trunion, installing a larger needle bearing and an inner race for the
bearing.  This will keep the wear from the axel, which he said have been
made of weaker steel since the early 1970.

No financial interest here, just someone that I met at the car show.  Wished
that I had met him two months earlier and tried his solution  I still may
have to later if the noise comes back.

Has anyone else tried this?

If interested, here is his address:

HP Imports