Re: Weber DGV venting the crankcase

To: "'spitfires@autox.team.net'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Weber DGV venting the crankcase
From: "Bollinger, Bob D. (BODB)" <BODB@chevron.com>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 08:35:58 -0700
Scott-

If you're going to have the problem with the vent going to the air filter
then you'll have the problem with a PCV valve in the vent line going to the
air filter.  At higher vacuum the PCV valve will close off a little
essentially keeping somewhat of a constant vacuum on the valve cover vent.
The purpose is so that it doesn't draw too much vent gasses at high vacuum
and mess up the air/fuel ratio in the carburetor.  For whatever reason, some
engines seem to need to have a strong vacuum on the valve cover vent to keep
pressure from building and pushing oil out the dipstick so routing the vent
to the inlet manifold taps into a lower pressure (higher vacuum), while some
people report no problem with routing the valve cover vent to the air filter
where there is almost no vacuum.

The original Zenith Stromberg carb had a valve cover vent line that went to
the carburetor with no PCV valve.  If there is more vacuum with the Weber
than there is more potential for drawing too much vent vapors and messing up
the ratio so the PCV valve is kind of like insurance in my mind.  Had I
still had the oil leak problem I would have removed the PCV valve to get
even more vacuum on the valve. cover vent.

Bob