Installed the convertible top!

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Installed the convertible top!
From: Dale Seeley <DSeeley1@rochester.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2001 07:57:44 -0400
Many thanks to all who offered advice and condolences regarding my
decision to install the convertible top on the 78.  It took a couple
hours, most of the time was eaten up getting the nerve to start making
cuts and applying glue.

Some asked about how to easily install the snaps on the body, I found an
"Arrow" brand rivet tool that had an extended snout that fit easily into
the snap.  The cheaper generic version has a flat face that makes the
install a lot more difficult.

Of course, I made the top too loose at the front edge, but I figure it's
easier to make it tighter than looser.  I'm guessing another 15 mm of
material wrapped around the leading edge will tighten things up nicely.

I bought the top off Ebay, from A.A. Best company.  The top has no brand
name that I could find.  The rear window zippers down, the external
surface is vinyl, the interior a rubberized sort of cloth I believe.
The only minor complaint about the top, the installed snaps that attach
to the rear rail (above the window) are off center 13 mm, but I can fix
that.

Next project, replace the rear wheel cylinders and brakes, attempt the
spring and it's bushings while I'm in there.  For those still looking
for a reason for a leaning Spit, I found that the bushing that is
supposed to be in the end of the spring on the driver side is missing,
allowing the spring to flop around a bit, and sag about 10 mm....

Have fun,
Dale Seeley

///