Re: Spit carb choke problem

To: Stephane St-Amant <steph71tr6@crosswinds.net>,
Subject: Re: Spit carb choke problem
From: Atwell Haines <karbuff@optonline.net>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 21:22:36 -0400
At 08:50 PM 4/30/2001 -0400, Stephane St-Amant wrote:
>Anyway, although the rebuilt carb (CD150) works quite well (The engine
>actually starts on the first try now!), I have a problem with the choke.
>When I pull the choke (engine cold or hot) the engine starts to go a little
>faster and then, almost immediately, start to sputter like it's running only
>on 3 cylinders and wants to die.
>
>So, right now I basically start the engine with the choke and then remove it
>almost immediately and let the engine warm up at idle.

Yeah,

My Spit doesn't run well on the choke either.  I've always thought that was
because my '79 is a water-choke-to-manual-conversion, and it's impossible
to adjust the fast idle speed properly and still get enrichment.

In the summer, it starts right away on full choke but idles best at about
half choke until it warms up. Soon as I get on the main street I disengage
the choke and it will run fine without it as long as I don't come to a stop
within a mile or two.

In cold weather I have to keep the choke on longer, but I still have it off
within five minutes of cruising (not idling).

Did you know there are two idle screws, one for the choke and one for the
regular idle? I found the Bentley manual only to show the choke idle
stop.  If you don't have them both set properly it won't idle that well
with the choke on.

BTW what's a '69 doing with a single ZS? Didn't they come with dual SUs?

Regards,

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire
Succasunna, NJ USA