Re: electric fan conversion web page finally here

To: "spitfires list" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: electric fan conversion web page finally here
From: "L&B Lubbers" <lubbers@sympatico.ca>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 19:07:37 -0500
Chris, sorry for the delay in responding, I've been away most of the week.

I've seen your question asked before.  I am no engine expert, but if the fan
is set to come on at a temperature higher than the thermostat, it would mean
you don't believe your rad is cooling the coolant.  Having the sensor in the
lower rad tank at a temp that is lower than the thermostat will cause the
fan to kick in only when the rad is not able to keep up with the cooling
required.  As you suggest, sitting still in traffic with no air passing
through the rad.

My bro-in-law tells me that VW uses a second thermoswitch in the block with
a two-speed fan.  Low speed when the rad thermoswitch is triggered,
high-speed when the block is getting too hot.  (or if the A/C is running at
idle)

If anyone has any particular knowledge on the subject, feel free to jump in.
I would guess racing engines would have a different set-up.

Len