Re: Air intake

To: Carter Shore <clshore@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Air intake
From: Nolan Penney <npenney@erols.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2001 20:21:05 -0500
I really think this problem is vastly over stated.  The mechanics of
getting a solid slug of water all the way up through the entire intake
passage, and into the cylinders as a solid mass is daunting.  As a less
then brilliant lad, I once stuck a garden hose running full blast down
the carburetor of my mothers car.  The theory being to decarbon the
engine, and more being better...  The engine was distinctly unhappy, but
even with a garden hose pouring into it, it didn't hydro lock.

I have hydro locked engines before, but it required me submerging them
to do it.  It seems neither my tractor nor my old motorcycle will run
when completely sunken.  Neither engine was damaged.  Nor was the truck
that I hydro locked successfully with a blown head gasket.

I have never actually seen an engine hydrolock from water spray.  Nor
have I ever met someone who hydrolocked an engine this way.  It has
always been the foaf story.

As for ram airs in Spitfires, the camo spit in my driveway has ram air.
The owner I got it from claims that it did produce a detectable effect
at highway speeds.  The car would seem more relaxed and less strained.
Since the engine threw a rod and I haven't replaced it yet, I can't give
any direct experience myself.  Though at the very least, drawing in cold
air will work better then feeding the engine the hot air from under the
bonnet.