Re: Is Triumph coming Back???

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Is Triumph coming Back???
From: "John & Tracy Knox" <jknox@erie.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 22:19:27 -0500
Since this all a list of opinions...

The Triumph motorcycle company is alive and well.  They are producing some
great motorcycles and own the Triumph name for motorcycles.

Second the post about BMW producing Triumphs.  I have to disagree with much of
the post.  I happen to like the BMW Z3. It's way out of my price league, but I
have to admire one every time it goes by.  The Z8 is better looking still, but
the Z3 is no slouch.  As far as the retro stuff that is out there; Yes, it is
as bit bastardized, but at least it is a way to inject some kind of art back
into some of the designs that are out there.  Last if you look at the TR6 you
have to admit that it isn't the best looking thing on the road.  As a matter
of fact I would go as far to say that after the TR3 Triumph didn't produce
another pretty sports car other than the Spitfire.  The 4-8 series were not
attractive.  The Italia is undiluted Michelotti <sp?>, and as such is a
beautiful car.  The Spitfire was allowed to keep the delicate lines that I
think were hallmarks of Michelotti's work.  The others were pretty heavily
bastardized in there own right for economy sake.

If BMW wants to build a Triumph, I'm all for it.  They couldn't do any worse
than Triumph did.  Maybe they could make an affordable sports car again other
than the Miata!

John K.