Re: Car not starting! + heater hose

To: goalie_john <goalie_john@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Car not starting! + heater hose
From: Richard B Gosling <Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com>
Date: 12 Dec 2000 02:48:55 -0600
John,

I tried to get new new hose from Halfords that takes water to the heater valve.
They only seemed to stock one size, with an O/D too big - and the wall was
 quite thin, so it could easily kink as you describe.  Decent tubing has a
 thick wall (o/d is probably at least twice the i/d), and so does not kink
 easily.

I got the correct hose from Brown Bros. - motor factors who mainly supply to
 the car trade.  They sold a 1m length of pipe, 1/2" i/d (love the mixture of
 units!!), just the right stuff, even came with a couple of hose clips.  I
 recommend you look under Motor Factors in your Yellow Pages and call a couple
 - not all of them will sell short lengths of pipe, being trade places some
 will only sell you a full 30m roll!  Partco is the best-known of these type of
 companies, but there are several.  I can highly recommend dumping Halfords in
 favour of these places for most stuff - they are much cheaper, have a wider
 range of stock, and are all happy to sell over the counter even though they
 mostly supply the garage trade.  I even managed to find one with a Spitfire
 alternator in stock, at 5:00 in the evening when the bearings seized on my old
 one - no hope of that at Halfords, and it was only 25 quid, less even than I
 would have paid at TRGB, let alone what Halfords would have charged once it
 had been ordered and arrived a week later.

There is certainly no need to go to Rimmers or anywhere like that - this is
 common stuff, you just need to find someone to sell it to you!  Even if you do
 buy a full 30m roll it will probably be no more than you would pay for a set
 at Rimmers anyway!

Richard & Daffy

goalie_john@yahoo.co.uk on 11Dec2000 11:49 PM