Re: After market Rims

To: frank@zk3.dec.com, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: After market Rims
From: Tburke4@aol.com
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 16:43:51 EDT

Hello all,

I hesitate to mention this because it might lead someone to do something
stupid, but, is it not true that the 4-bolt 14" BMW rims used on earlier
Bimmers were a 100mm pattern? That is 4.75mm (or 2.375mm per bolt) larger
than the 3.75 pattern.
That is too much, (repeat too much) to try to just "make it fit", especially
if you're adding a lot more rubber and stress, but, a qualified wheel shop
could probably sort out the difference with larger studs and some
re-drilling. Has anyone on the list ever explored this option?

Also, there are listservs that deal in road racing rims which use the 3.75
pattern commonly (various Loti and, I think, Formula Fords?) and run to all
sorts of outrageous rim widths and offsets. Keep in mind, however, that used
race rims can be VERY used.

On ours, we've got Yokahamas mounted on 5.5x13 TR7 rims which are not too
hard to find for cheap and they fit just fine.

Tom Burke
80 Spit

In a message dated 09/29/2000 1:09:21 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
frank@zk3.dec.com writes:

<< Luke Lewis wrote:

 > Short answer:  No current, common supplier makes rims in the goofy-ass bolt
 > pattern of a Spit.  I used to sell American Racing, Prime and Superior, as
 > well as others, and there simply is no call for 4x3.75 rims... the ONLY way
 > is to get the over priced ones from VB or used ones...

 Not so.  Check out http://www.prirace.com/index.htm.  Minilites
 are also still being made (Al though, no longer Mg).

 -- >>