Rusty Flywheel -Reply

To: Tburke4@aol.com, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Rusty Flywheel -Reply
From: "Gary Kristjansson" <kristjag@EM.AGR.CA>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 16:38:51 -0400
I don't know if it is recommended but I've cleaned up flywheels for both my
Spit and GT6 using fine emery paper and have had no problems.  I did not notice
any significant pitting in either case.

Gary Kristjansson

68 Frankenspit

71 GT6

>>> <Tburke4@aol.com> 09/25 1:49 pm >>>

Hello Folks,

After my engine was marooned at the local gas station all Summer (don't ask),
I am finally getting it back together. I dug out the flywheel and it has a
nasty layer of rust on the side that faces the clutch. There may be some
light pitting beneath the rust. Is this something I can just clean up with
emery cloth or should I get it resurfaced at a machine shop. I'm concerned
about resurfacing for fear it might cause problems with clutch engagement.

TIA,

Tom Burke
80 Spit