Re: cylinder head

To: John Weber <weberjm@teleport.com>
Subject: Re: cylinder head
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 22:55:36 -0700
Yes, I recommend torqueing the head before starting it up and immediately after
the engine warms up (before it cools off).  You will be
surprised how loose the nuts get when it warms up.

I don't know about going with a higher torque specification.  I would not
recommend it if you are using the old head studs.  However,
ARP head studs are supposed to be torqued to 50 pounds.  So, I guess it depends
on the particulars of what you are using.  One note,
Kas Kastner's competition manual recommended using thicker nuts on the head
studs and then torque it to 60 pounds.  Of course, it is on
competition prepared engines that will rev upwards of 7000 rpm.

Regards,
Joe