Temp Gauge installation question

To: "Spitfire" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Temp Gauge installation question
From: "Jason K. Cullum" <jcullum@chorus.net>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 23:30:03 -0500
I purchased a new Manual temp gauge for my spit. I am replacing the original
electric one. When I unhook the wires to it and turn on my ignition I get
smoke from under the dash!!!!!! Here are the wires hooked up, Power to light
from Dash light switch, Lead from sensor in engine compartment, Grounds to
the frame of the gauge, and 2 wires spliced together connected to the last
post on the gauge, when the two wires are removed is when I get the smoke.
How can I remove the gauge with burning up my car? What circuit do I need to
close and how do I do it?

Thanks,
Jason

PS this is a 63 (IE Reverse Polarity....Positive Ground and Negative is hot)