Re: timing

To: "John Cave" <cavej@mcmaster.ca>
Subject: Re: timing
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 10:19:48 +0100

Hi John
No
The best technique I have used is to disregard the timing marks for the cam,
set the crank to tdc, set the cam so that the rockers for valves seven and
eight are on the rock, I think it is recommended that the gaps are set to
0.040" for these two valves before you start work, then using feeler gauges
check the clearances until you have equal gaps on these two rockers. now fit
the chain to the sprockets and play until you have the two bolt holes in
line. I recommend this technique as I have found that some of the factory
timing marks are less than perfect! don't forget you can get 1/2 tooth
adjustments by turning the cam wheel 180 degrees and 1/4 tooth adjustment by
some combination of turning the wheel so the other side faces out. (only
with simplex chain, if you have duplex chain you cannot flip the wheel!)

Graham.
2500PI MKII
Sprinted Dolomite
2000 MKI