RE: ENGINE SWAPPING

To: "Mark Campbell" <spitfire@shelby.net>,
Subject: RE: ENGINE SWAPPING
From: "James Gambony" <BritBits@tiu.net>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 23:03:46 -0500
You all have missed the obvious candidate... I'm surprised that Tim from GRM
hasn't chimed in!

Mazda RX7 rotary.

The complete rotary is about the same height as the Spitfire shortblock, not
much wider and definitely lighter.

Not a lot of low end grunt in stock form.... easy on the diff.

Usable rev range up to 8k-10k depending upon what work you're willing to do.
Many came with a 5 speed attached...

So far the "hottest" one I've seen is in an autocrosser Bugeye from Houston,
they're claiming 400+ hp.  And it appeared to be a correct claim from the
performance of the car.

I considered the swap when my '73 1500 gave up the ghost back in '89.  Went
back with a stock rebuild, could've done the rotary a lot cheaper.  Oh well.

Cheers,

Jim
-and the "James Bond" autocrosser, leaves oil slicks and sharp bits
(u-joint) on course! :-)