Help With Electric Spitfire Brakes

To: Spitfire List <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Help With Electric Spitfire Brakes
From: Ralph Goodwin <evracer@ipass.net>
Date: Fri, 05 May 2000 21:58:49 -0400
It will probably be too late for immediate help, but any help is
appreciated!

The Electric Spitfire ran in a range event qualifier today for
tomorrow's autocross.  Car did great except for two concerns.  One is
the clutch.  It just isn't adequate to handle the power of the electric
motor!  Big time slipping here!  We really don't need to shift gears
tomorrow, one of the many advantages of electric power, so we are
probably going to just bolt the pressure plate to the flywheel for
tomorrow.

The more immediate problem is the brakes, or lack thereof!  We have
pedal but minimal brakes!  As you know, its hard to autocross hard
without brakes!  We autocross tomorrow!

In building the car we totally rebuilt all the barking system, I mean
totally rebuilt wheel cylinders, calipers, turned rotors, new shoes,
pads, blew out lines, etc., etc.  We know how to rebuild brakes, but
this has us stumped!  Is there anything unique about a Spitfire (80)
brakes system that we may not be aware of?

Too much power and too little brakes in Carolina!