Re: Rear license plate light, plinth, and seals for1962-69 Spitfires

To: SJagGo@aol.com
Subject: Re: Rear license plate light, plinth, and seals for1962-69 Spitfires
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 09:29:58 -0700
I like to use the plinths, myself.  The plinth makes a good mating surface for
the chrome lamp housing.  The housing does not mate well to the valance without
it.

As for the seal between the plinth and the body, I have not seen one offered
anywhere.  So I got creative.  The perfect seal is one of the bumper overrider
gaskets (VB PN: 9-8122) cut down to fit.  It will bend around the curvature of
the plinth and the pressure of the mounting bolts will hold it in place.  It
looks "factory"!

Without the plinth, the lamp does not stick out far enough to properly
illuminate the plate.  I can't imagine that in Britain and other European
countries that use a wide rear plate that it would be any better without the
plinth in place.

Regards,
Joe