Oil pan sealant

To: "Spitfire List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Oil pan sealant
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 08:04:34 -0800
I made the mistake of replacing my oil pan gasket without using some sort of
gasket sealing compound and of course, the leaks are as bad (or perhaps
worse) then when I drained, cleaned and replaced everything.  The Bentley
manual made no reference to using a gasket compound on the oil pan, so I
took a gamble -- and lost.  The PO had already stripped out a thread, which
I successfully repaired with a heli-coil, but I had no desire to attempt
torqueing down the bolts any harder and repeating that mistake.

Time for another oil change.

I have Permatex 2, which I used on my transmission cover seal recently.  Is
this what I should use to seal the oilpan gasket as well?  What I DON'T want
is to use something that's going to be a pain in the neck to scrape off,
should I have occasion to remove the oil pan again someday.  If the Permatex
2 isn't the way to go, can someone suggest an alternative?   Thanks.

Jeff in San Diego