Re: Dash overlay & first drive

To: "BillG" <wrgingerich@uswest.net>, "Spitlist" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Dash overlay & first drive
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2000 15:27:10 -0500
At 10:14 AM 03/05/00 -0600, BillG wrote:

>My parts car came with one of the
>molded plastic dash overlays (unused) but no glue or instructions.  For
>those that have installed them, what type of glue did you use?

My overlay from Moss provided "GE (brand) Clear RTV Silicone Auto Seal".
The instructions were to 1) level any cracked vinyl with a knife, then 2)
apply a bead about a half-inch from the edges of the overlay; then 3) hold
in place after positioning for a couple hours with a weight (I used books
and rolls of paper towels wedged against the windshield).

>Also, is seems that it would
>make sense to remove the de-misting vents, tonneau pins, etc. and replace
>them after the overlay was installed.  Is this correct?

Your intuition is correct, remove the defroster vents and ashtray first,
then reinstall afterwards. (On my 1500, the vent hardware captures the
tonneau fasteners.)

My overlay still looks great three years after installation BTW.

Regards,

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire
Succasunna, NJ USA

"Man who drive like hell bound to get there." - Chinese Proverb