Guage gasket alternatives

To: "Spitfire List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Guage gasket alternatives
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 15:58:27 -0800
Recently, I asked whether or not I should bother replacing my crumbled guage
gaskets, since I live in a dry climate (except for the past 10 days --
whew!).  Based on the input, I decided to go ahead and replace the gaskets.

Here is what I used in case anyone else is interested:

For the smaller guages (gas, temp), I bought 54mm #88 o-rings from Home
Depot.  Stock no. 35706B.  They drop into the 52mm bezel perfectly and
required no modification whatsoever.  Nice tight seal.

For the large guages (speedo, tach), two loops of self forming teflon valve
packing (3/32 X 36" rope) worked great.  I figure if it can be used to keep
faucets air and water tight, it should be able to at least keep the dust out
of my guages.  While the latter was probably not the best alternative, it
seems to work just fine for now.

Best wishes,

Jeff in San Diego