one of these things is not like the others

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: one of these things is not like the others
From: "Terry L. Thompson" <tlt@digex.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 14:26:18 -0500
I was just taking some photos of my car at the 94th aero, and I noticed
that my driver's side rear wheel seems to be
obtusely cambered at the top in several of the pictures. I just went into
the parking lot in front of work, and took a glance, and there does NOT
appear to be this extreamly toe-out profile as there were in the photos. I
then jacked up the rear to make sure that the hub wasn't coming off and
that the lug nuts were on there tight.

A co-worker suggested that the extreame angle may have been because I was
on a grade causing the wheel to push up into the wheel well, and the
steering being turned to the right was only emphasising the grade. And that
I probably need a camber adjustment. The car (as it sits now in front of
work) is definately on a more even grade, but I still don't see how the
grade could cause such a drastic lean to the tire.

Both rear wheels feel like they're on solid. There's no wobble in any
direction. The bearings are less than 2 years old, and the left rear
half-shaft was put on in June of 1999.

I'm wondering if I should be driving this thing around like this, or if
there's anything you listers think I should look at.

I just put the images on my web page at:

http://www.access.digex.net/~terry_t/photos.html

Thanks,
Terry "I might be walking home" Thompson
'76 Spit 1500
Maryland