Re: UJs, Half shafts and a slight venting of displeasure

To: "List, Spitfire" <spitfires@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: UJs, Half shafts and a slight venting of displeasure
From: Richard Gosling <rbgos@perkins-engines.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 13:13:40 +0000
Aidan,

I know what you mean about getting that bolt through the top shocker
bush!  I had to replace my half-shaft a few months ago after the UJ
disintegrated (interesting at 70 mph, with one rear wheel with no proper
location in any direction...)

My final solution was to put a ring spanner on the head, so I could
twist it back and forth, and at the same time use a long, strong lever
(I used the handle from my trolley jack) to press VERY HARD down on the
head.  As far as I can remember, the end of the jack handle pressed
against the half-shaft, with the middle against the bolt head and me
pushing on the other end.  Progress was slow, but I got there.

For removing UJs - what you need is a big vice (vise for the benefit of
any Americans reading this!) and two sockets, preferably ones you don't
mind too much about.  I've never broken one yet (done this job twice),
but it could happen.  One of these should have an O/D slightly smaller
than the UJ cup, the other should be just large enough that a UJ cup
could sit inside it.  Remove the circlips (so easy to say, so bloody
awkward to do!), then place the UJ in the vice with the smaller socket
pressing against one cup, and the larger placed ready to receive the
other cup.  Then just tighten the vice, and the UJ should move through
the flange, so one cup pops out.  If, with the vice very tight, there is
still no movement, tighten the vice a bit more so there is a LOT of
pressure, then tap the UJ with a hammer - this has always been enough to
get things moving for me.  Re-tighten, HIT, re-tighten, HIT until the
cup pops out.

This will enable you to get two cups out.  You should now be able to
remove the spider, and then contine pressing the other two caps until
they fall out of the middle.

If you have managed this without damaging the cups, or their seals, or
losing any of the needle roller bearings, then you could re-use the UJ.
But, at 6-7 quid each for an original spec new one, less for a repro,
there is no reason not to replace this anyway!

And before you ask, yes, you will have to disassemble the *%$&#@? thing
again, this job cannot conceivably be done with the shaft in place.

By the way, who managed to send you the wrong flanges in the first
place?  If these people are a bit slap-dash, we all should know, so that
at least we know to double-check anything we buy off them.

Enjoy your next weekend!

Richard Gosling and Daffy (still eagerly awating her new exhaust, while
avoiding policemen who might object to the noise levels!)