The Stolen Vehicle

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: The Stolen Vehicle
From: Fred Griffiths <griffco@mail.cadvision.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2000 19:52:55 -0700
Some time ago listers may remember my saga about trying to register a Spitfire
only to find it had been stolen.  It went like this:

In 1990 my 18 year old son bought a Spitfire from a wrecking yard in BC Canada,
Car had no commission or body number plates, wrecking yard owner gave us a
story about a
family estate fued resulting in one party preventing the other from ever
driving the car
again;

1991 my son died and I didn't have the heart to work on Spitfires for a long
time,
1997 I decided I could handle it again, so used a comm plate off another legal
body I
had and registered the car as a 1973 1500,

June 1999 I decided to find the car's history based on the engine number and
other
details, so wrote to BMIHT,
July 1999 got back a certificate sheet for a 1971 MK IV, #FK5061L at a cost of
nearly
$60 Canadian,

Aug 1999 tried to register the new comm number only to find it was still listed
as
stolen since 1986,
Since then I contacted the RCMP Auto Theft Unit and the insurance company
(government
run) and after many letters and phone calls and a payment of a modest
sum........

Today I finally got the release paper from the insurance company!  I can now
register
poor 'Kimball" the fugitive with his proper number.  Its only taken 7 months,
but he's
mine all mine!

        Seriously, I was worried at one stage that I could lose the vehicle
with no
compensation.  So now I intend to 're-plate' the car with its correct comm
number.

Hope no one else has this much hassle!
Cheer, Fred

---------