Re: Hard lesson -- learn from my mistakes

To: "Spitfire List (E-mail)" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Hard lesson -- learn from my mistakes
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 20:27:59 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 1 Feb 2000, John T. Blair wrote about his Morgan wire wheels:

> It turns out that the last person to work on the car (not me - it happened
> before I bought it) had had both sides of the front end torn down and reversed
> the right and left hubs when they put it back together.  Once I change that
> around, I never had the problem of throwing a spinner again.

Reminds me of way back when (early 1970s), when a buddy of mine bought a
$400 XK-150 roadster (yeah, those were the days) to fix up. We agreed it
could stay in my (parents') driveway for a while. There had been a
problem with the right rear wire wheel hub, so the car had to be towed
with the back end up.

[Think about this, in light of recent discussions and John's experience.]
After about three miles of towing, I -- following behind the towed Jaguar
in my car -- watched as one of the knockoffs from the front wheels flew
off and into the ditch. We stopped and quickly grabbed it, then tried to
catch up to the tow truck, all the while praying that the now unsecured
wheel wouldn't come off. Fortunately it didn't and the last two miles to
my house were uneventful -- thanks to years of neglect that resulted in a
front wheel very well secured to the splines. ;-)

--Andy

p.s. Wonder what that car is worth now? Thing RAN, for goodness' sake!