RE: New Soon to Be Race Car

To: "'spitfires@autox.team.net'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: New Soon to Be Race Car
From: "Mostrom, Paul" <Mostrom.Paul@principal.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999 12:47:31 -0600
Patrick,

I push my '77 to it's limits in Solo-II DSP class (ESP in 2000).  Very few
mods to the car, (so far), and I get beat by just about everybody and I'm
loving every minute of it!  Little by little I'm building it into a more
respectable street/race car.  I know that to have a real race car would be
beyond my budget, but I really don't care.  Since this 'soon to be race car'
of yours isn't street legal, you may want to spend the money to put it into a
modified class, but stock or 'street prepared' classes can be a lot of fun
too!

Here in the Des Moines Valley Region of the SCCA, street prepared gives you
unlimited suspension and exhaust mods, external engine changes (like
carburation) are allowed.  No internal engine changes besides balancing, .020
oversize boring and a maximum .100 milling on the head.  I understand that you
can back-date an engine, but it has to be in it's entirety.  (i.e. I could put
a 1296 engine into my '77).  You can run vintage class as long as you don't
use race rubber tires, which helps as these 20+ year old cars really can't
compete with the modern cars.  Other regions may have similar rules, check
with your local region.  Check out www.scca.org to locate your local region.

Over the last 2 years my '77 has recieved a new carburator (Weber DGV - $400),
poly bushings all around($100), rear air shocks ($75) and a negative camber
alignment ($45 for the gauge).  I purchased a used rear sway bar ($50) and
street roll-bar ($100) from a Spitfires list member to be installed before
next season.  So all in all, I don't have that much wrapped up into my 'race
car'.  I am planning to put new wheels and better tires on in the future,
which will set me back $800 - $1000, but my Spit is worth it.

Solo-II can be a lot of fun and not cost an arm and a leg.  Road racing or
Pro-Solo is a different story.  There money is the prime ingredient in a race
car where the motor alone can cost $3-5k.  Pegasus Racing will build a Triumph
Spitfire 1500 short block to stage-2 for $3k, the head will cost another $2k.
Better get a sponsor!

Thanks,
Paul Mostrom
'77 Spitfire 1500
'80 Ford F-100 (Triumph Support Vehicle)

'Black holes, where God divided by zero......'