Re: Stripping and Painting the frame

To: PABowen@sar.med.navy.mil, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Stripping and Painting the frame
From: "dayton carpenter" <djcarpen@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 16:58:34 PST
Patrick:

I did a complete frame-off on my Spitfire that now has a Chevy 4.3L V-6 with
a Borg-Warner T-5.

Everything and I mean everything was removed from the frame and body.  When
I removed the undercoating the best method I found has to use a propane
torch with a wide flame tip to heat the undercoating and then use a large
and small putty knife to remove it.  You should wear a respirator and gloves
as the fumes are toxic.

I had my frame blasted then used an etching expoxy primer DP-40 made by PPG.
  Then cover it with their single stage DDC black expoxy paint.  The
underside was primed with the DP-40 then I used a paintable chip guard
undercoating material.  I dont remember the name but you can call Jeff
Franklin at Franklin Restorations, Plum Street in Syracuse NY at
315-478-1103 he will know.  He specializes in car restorations especially
English Cars.  He very knowledgeable of the lastest paint technology. Tell
him said hello from China.  If you want more info and pix about my project
let me know.

Dayton Carpenter
Hangzhou China