Re: Black wire

To: "Craig Smith" <CraigS@iewc.com>, "'Spit list'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Black wire
From: "Keith R. Stewart" <kstewart@wwdc.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 17:20:15 -0500
Craig Smith asked:

> I found a black wire that has been fried.
> It leads down to the ignition switch, I traced it back to the branch that
> goes into main through the firewall down low.
> I don't know what or where it leads, I really don't want to cut all the
tape
> off the harness to trace it. I would like to just run another one and
cover
> it on the harness.
> Any ideas ?

On my MkIII (70) there is a very thin black wire that I found unattached in
the area near the column mounted ignition switch. Since black usually
represents a ground, I assumed that it my have come off a screw that was
attached to the underside of the dash in the same area but that attached
nothing to the dash. I'm not sure of this next part, but ISTR that it was
for the underdash light that comes on when the door is opened. Hope this
helps. Cheers
Keith

    _       _
   | \     / |        Keith R. Stewart