Re: speedbleeders

To: kimkell@decaturnet.com
Subject: Re: speedbleeders
From: "Donald H. Locker" <dhl@mrdog.msl.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 1999 09:15:30 -0500
Hi, Dave.

While considering bleeding difficulties, I decided that when the time
comes, I am going to try a different method.  Recognising that air
really likes to live above hydraulic fluid (fluif), and that
traditional bleeding attempts to push the air down with the fluid
(fluif) and out the bleeder screw, and that is bass-ackwards to the
way that air likes to behave, I will try the following: (anyone
adventurous enough is welcome to try before I get to it; likely in
2001 or thereabouts)

tools:  Mity-vac or other source of controlled vacuum, adapter from
Mity-vac to master cylinder reservoir, sufficient fluid (fluif),
miscellaneous hoses and a little bit of brake-safe grease.

procedure: attach hose to bleeder screw, drop end into large container
of fluid (need I add fluif anymore?  I trust everyone now knows what
it is I am talking about...) and apply vacuum from above.  Pack a
little brake grease around bleed nipple threads (to prevent air
leaking in) and crack open bleeder.  Use vacuum source to draw fluid
up to reservoir (making sure to not draw container down too low).
Repeat as needed for other bleed screws.

variation: closed container of fluid at slave cylinder, pressurise
container to push fluid up to M/C reservoir.  This method would not
need the brake grease around the bleed nipple threads, and _might_ be
easier to control.  I'm not sure.

In any case, the idea is to let the air live above the fluid just like
it likes to do, and pull/push it all upward and out.

Donald.