Re: Newly acquired....

To: "David A Templeton" <davidt@opentext.com>
Subject: Re: Newly acquired....
From: Dave Chu <dave@ece.concordia.ca>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 13:25:56 -0500

In message <01d401bf3513$11e08200$dc0515ac@opentext.com>you write:

>I have gone and done it now, I have purchased another spit.  This time a
>'76, the PO says the body is in rough shape but mechanically is sound.  The
>problem is it has been stored indoors for 12 years and had the engine last
>run 2 years ago!  What are the chances the engine will still go and how do I
>go about starting it up to see?

   Two years is not a very long time for the engine to sit around if it was
   stored properly.  I would drain the gas tank and put in fresh gas. Remove
   all the spark plugs and spray some oil into each cylinder and change the
   oil.   With a charged up battery and the spark plugs still out of the car
   and some fresh gas, try to turn the car over and see if you get oil
   pressure.  This wil also get the fresh gas into your carb.

   If everything works fine clean and put the plugs back and try to start
   the car.  This is what I do with my car every year when it comes out of
   storage.  Except, I put full my tank and put oil into the cylinders before
   storing my car for the winter.

   Good luck.
Dave                                                  |\ |     | |
Dave Chu                                 \/  \/       | /|     | |
Dept. of Elec. & Comp. Eng.                           |/ |     | |
Concordia University              Voice:(514)848-3115   Fax:(514)848-2802
1455 de Maisonneuve W. H961       Email:dave@ece.concordia.ca
Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3G 1M8  http://www.ece.concordia.ca/~dave/addr.html