Re: Oil Pressure

To: "T. .R. Dafforn" <td214@cam.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Oil Pressure
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 06:14:23 -0800
>Has anyone ever tried one of the Smiths combined water temp and Oil
>pressure guages?
>I am thinking of getting one, as it saves having to carve up the dash,
>Does the water temp side work
>on a spit?
I used to have one (dual water temp/oil pressure) on my GT6+ because I
didn't want to carve up the dash. Bought a brand new one from one of the
big three, I can't remember off hand which one but it was for either an MG
or Austin Healey.  It works, but I (personally) didn't like the action of
the water temp side of the gauge.  The needle would never really seat, or
rest properly when supposedly cold, and yes it does get cold enough here in
So Ca to *zero* the gauge :-).  That lead me to suspect the gauge reading
and I eventually took it out and put the stock gauges back in.  Too bad as
it's a nifty idea, and if somebody s would make an electric version of the
gauge (even with mechanical oil) I think it would go over great!  Plenty of
Spitfire owners would love to have an oil gauge (something EVERY proper
sports car should have, and makes one wonder just WHY it was left out of
the Spitfire/GT6 line!!)  With one of those dual gauges in the same case as
the single gauge, it can be installed with no changes to the dash, and very
little in the way of installation!  Smiths/Jaeger are you listening :-)??

72 PI, V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (long term project)