Re: Brakes & MC question

To: "Simmons, Reid W" <reid.w.simmons@intel.com>,
Subject: Re: Brakes & MC question
From: "Keith R. Stewart" <kstewart@wwdc.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 20:15:37 -0400
Simmons, Reid W asked:

> Picture if you will the tandem brake MC for a late model Spitfire.  Which
> cylinder connects up to which set of brakes?  Pictures I have examined
> recently seem to show the front cylinder connected to the front brakes,
and
> the rear cylinder connected to the rear brakes.  However, the brake pipes
> from my MC to the PDWA only seem to fit one way and that is opposite to
what
> I described above.  Is this correct or does it matter?
>
> After a rebuild of all cylinders (my first ever attempt) the rear brakes
> bled OK and work great.  The front brakes won't bleed a steady stream of
> fluid (can't seem to get the air out), and pushing on the pedal is like
> trying to put your foot through a brick wall. :-)
>
> Thanks.
>
> Reid
> '79 Spitfire (original owner)
When I rebuilt the M/C, replaced all the pipes and hoses, rebuilt the front
calipers, and replaced the rear wheel cylinders before swithching to
Silicone fluid, the bleeding process did show that the front chamber
provided fluid to the front brakes and the rear chamber to the rear brakes.

Cheers
Keith