Re: Tranny fluid

To: Spitfire List <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tranny fluid
From: Reed Mideke <rmideke@interbase.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 11:02:02 -0700
Hmm, my local parts store was happy to sell me a gallon
of 90wt hypoid. What you want is the same stuff that goes in
differentials and most manual trannies, >NOT< automatic tranny fluid.
The stuff you want is commonly calld 'gear oil', is thick as molasis
and smells like rotten eggs. And no, molasis and rotten eggs are
NOT a substitute ;-).

BTW, my opinion is get the best gear oil you can. There's no point
in saveing a few bucks on something you change once a year at the most.

I'm not sure where the filler hole is on a stock spit (mine has
a datsun tranny) but if it's on the side, you might want to get one
of the plastic gear oil pumps that most auto parts stores carry.

Finally, I'd like to thank someone on the list for the tip about
cleaning the differential breather. My diff doesn't leak nearly
as much now. ;-)

--
Reed Mideke                                        rmideke@interbase.com