Re: camber compensator

To: "Peter S." <alfapete@pacbell.net>, "Joe Curry" <spitlist@gte.net>,
Subject: Re: camber compensator
From: "wizardz" <wizardz@maxinter.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 13:41:27 -0400
The sway bar has very little to do with the smoothnes of a ride in a straight
line

Just like a Honda... (extremely smooth over bumps)
the true smoothness to the ride it more reliant
on the wieght of the vehicle vs the unsprung wieght
of the suspension components, coupled to the rate of damping used.
..on short bump transitions, (in straight line driving) a sway bar will
transmit very minimal
positional change to the other side of the vehicle. The moment
of torque, is lost through the vehicle wieght as the fulcrum support.
.... to say it a litle morre simply...
one wheel dropping into a divit in the road, moves only one end of the sway bar
for the sway bar to pull the other wheel down, it has to pull down on
the fulcum point first (body mount point) body wieght has to shift before the
other
wheel would see the force.

While cornering the body wieght vectors change (change of direction means
multiple
gravity vectors) the BODY SWAY is now applying force to the wheels in two
opposite direction.
via the sway bar, one up, one down. Hence, the thicker the bar the less BODY
ROLL.

Paul Tegler
1973 BGT - Daily Driver
1975 Spitfire -in Cherry Shape     1980 Spitfire  w/  O/D - in re-hab
email: wizardz@toad.net        http://www.teglerizer.com
(all new ..faster menu)