Re: Brake Rotor Suggestion

To: "Terry L. Thompson" <tlt@digex.net>
Subject: Re: Brake Rotor Suggestion
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 11:38:20 -0700
Terry,
I guess the answer to your question is, "It depends!"

Depends that is on what type pads you use and whether they are changed
when necessary.  Softer pads wear faster but don't wear on the disks as
much.  The front disk brakes typically carry more of the stopping burden
than the read drums, so it stands to reason that the wearable components
will degrade faster than the rear brakes.  But I haven't noticed any
appreciable wear on my disk rotors since I installed them new 3 years
ago.

You will have to get the rear disk information elsewhere, since I have
no experience with that, beyond contemplation.  The way I see it is the
most difficult part of upgrading the rears to disks is how to rig up the
parking brake!

Regards,
Joe

"Terry L. Thompson" wrote:

> Not that it was a big savings, but I thought I'd mention, for anyone else
> that's interested that I purchased a set of cross-drilled rotors for the
> spitfire for $172.00 from Spit Bits. (Moss wanted $180.00 for a set.)
>
> Is it my imagination or does it seem that the front rotors wear out at
> about twice as fast a rate as the rear drums?
>
> Also, how difficult is it to modify the rear wheels to disk brakes?
>
> Terry L. Thompson
> 1976 Spit 1500 (in need of new front rotors)

 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer