Re: Spit fuses

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Spit fuses
From: "Peter S." <alfapete@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 10:19:44 -0700

 Dan Masters wrote:
> Peter,
>
> I have to disagree with you on that. Except in rare cases, the fuses
cannot
> protect the devices, they are only there to protect the
wiring...........................

Dan,
Certainly the first function is to protect the wiring.  I don't dispute
that.  But devices such as a wiper motor which requires a fairly high
current draw / high amp fuse has internal motor windings which are smaller
than the wiring going to it.  If the wiper is stalled in one position (by
snow or something placed above the wipers) the amp draw goes up until
someting gives.  Wiring, with its length will disipate heat up before
finally melting.  The windings in the motor will cook and you ruin it -
potentionaly faster than damaging the wire.  If you put in a fuse which is
rated higher than normal you certainly could/will ruin the motor before the
wiring has any ill effects.  IMHO.
Peter S