Re: Triumph Spitfire Conversions

To: "Dean Dashwood" <DDashwood@softwright.co.uk>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Triumph Spitfire Conversions
From: "James Carpenter" <james.carpenter@jccsystems.swinternet.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 23:04:27 +0100

>>I don't have the OD in mine, I am not planning on doing much highway
driving
>>so I don't see a need personally. What if any improvement does it have for
>>street driving?

Ok, all Spitfires need an overdrive, because they are so much cooler than 5
speed.  I have only just got it, but my confidence in the car for long trips
has gone up.  I would not be with out it!  For example, the windy road from
from Gloucester to Ross-On-Wye, I miles of bendy forest road, I had to
chainge gear once, the rest of the time I was flicking it in and out, left
arm on center rest, other on the wheel.  And I got away from all the cars
flowing me, effort less.

The other example was when I was overtaking the Merc who was being a pain,
5500 rpm in 3rd, I was just about to run out of steam so I flicked the
swich, got a shove in the back and accelerated on to, ooh I dont know but
the merc didn't know what past them:-)  You do notice the slightly lower
gearing on overdrive 3rd than plain 4th in situations like that!

James