Alternator Trouble

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Alternator Trouble
From: Growe58@aol.com
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 15:22:12 EDT
After months of glowing dimly, the alternator light is now brightly shining.
The funny thing is that the battery isn't running down at all.  There doesn't
seem to be any short from the light to the alternator, so I am assuming an
internal fault.  Shamefully, particularly for a long time LBC owner, I have no
electrical test equipment.  My questions are:

- Is this likely something easy to fix?

- If not, can I hook up an ammeter gauge to measure charging?  Will it work
  with the light shorted?  (if that's what in fact happened)

- Will the light continue to provide the necessary "excitement" to initialize
  the alternator in this condition?

My frugality rebels at the thought of replacing an alternator that IS charging
because of a dysfunctional warning light. :)

THANKS as always!

-Greg

78 Spit