Re: more help, please

To: "Donald H. Locker" <dhl@mrdog.msl.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: more help, please
From: "Wayne Burton" <Wayne_burton@bc.sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 09:20:28 -0700

>I am missing the rubber-in-steel (I think) top steering column clamp.

Eh? What year is the car?
I assume that you have the early style column and not the later locking
type.
There are three parts which form the clamp.
   The upper clamp PN 611368
   The lower clamp PN 619850
  & Clamping ring PN 609639
None of these are made of rubber. All are all steel. The design allows the
column to collapse in the event of an accident, so the clamp must not be too
tight. The very early cars didn't have the clamping ring, opting for a thick
felt ring instead. If it is the clamping ring you're missing, just cut felt
thick enough to make sure that the column doesn't move when bolted
together - works fine.

>code for this vehicle is 56 (Royal Blue),
Code 56 is indeed Royal Blue. This was replaced in Mk IV & 1500s with 136
Delft Blue
It is very dark rich blue (navy blue) with a slight purple tinge.

If you need a colour mix email me direct

Wayne
1954 Austin A40 Somerset
1963 Triumph Spitfire4
1966 Triumph 2000 Sedan