Re: Back from the trip (long sort of car indurence report thing)

To: James Carpenter <james.carpenter@jccsystems.swinternet.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Back from the trip (long sort of car indurence report thing)
From: William Davies <daviesw@ecid.cig.mot.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 14:18:41 +0100
James,
        I think you've just discovered why many of us are so critical of the
1500 engine! I usually have to change the downpipe gasket on my wife's
Dolomite 1500 every 3-4 months, and it too gets very hot. I've recently
got rid of the waxstat carbs and fitted some earlier SUs I had in stock
- definitely a huge improvement. The wider radiator is well worth
fitting to a 1500 Spitfire, the standard item really isn't upto getting
rid of all the heat generated by that engine. Other than that, make sure
the thermostat is opening at a low enough temperature - a DPO may have
fitted a winter thermostat. Also, are the cardboard ducting panels in
front of the radiator in good shape? It's surprising how much difference
they can make.
        You're right about the drivers in that part of the world, but at least
they're not deliberately trying to kill you like the idiots on the A420
between Swindon and Oxford!
        Cheers,
                Bill.

                            This Message sent by:
   /                  \     William Davies
  /                    \    Total Triumph Enthusiast
/  \  ______  ______  /  \  1959 Herald 948 Coupé Y128
\__/  \     ||     /  \__/  1959 Herald 948 Coupé
\________________________/  1964 Herald 1200 Saloon
 | |                  | |   1973 Spitfire MkIV
 |_|                  |_|   1959 Standard Atlas Pickup