Help with paint touch-up

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Help with paint touch-up
From: Growe58@aol.com
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 13:26:51 EDT
Hello to the list:

I have just completely my annual sacrificial offering of bondo and
fiberglass to the gods of winter ravages.  The paint touchup from
an aerosol can is glossy (well, relatively) where it was applied
directly, but there is a no-man's land of coarse textured overspray
between it and the original, untouched paint.  In addition, and
probably inevitably, the spray paint is a close, but not exact
match for the, er, original paint.

The question being:  what products, techniques, incantations
etc do I use to remove the overspray and feather the new paint
as inobtrusively as possible into the old?  In the past, a combination
of 1500 grit wet and dry and rubbing compound left a prominent
line of demarcation between the two colors.  Note that perfection is
NOT sought after (I'd hate to start now...), just reasonable blending
from the 10 foot view.

TIA as always!

-Greg

78 Spit - daily driver (now with non-metallic fender lips)