Re: Fuseable links

To: jblair@exis.net, morgans@autox.team.net, vSaab@onelist.com,
Subject: Re: Fuseable links
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 23:49:11 EDT
In a message dated 6/21/99 8:40:54 PM Eastern Daylight Time, jblair@exis.net
writes:

> I've blown a fuseable link on an 89 Ford F150 pick up truck.  After we
>  found the blown link, we went all over town looking for the links.  No
>  one had them (not even the Ford dealer).  The truck appears to have 2
>  types: an 18 guage and a 20 guage link.
>
>  I'm thinking of replacing the fuseable links with fuses.  I've think
>  I've seen something about replacing fuseable links with an equilivalant
>  fuse.  However I can't find anything either in my books or on the net.
>
>  Anyone have any idea what size fuse I need to replace the 18 and 20 guages
>  fuseable links with?

John,

I don't recommend replacing the fusible links with fuses -- you are just
asking for trouble. The fusible links have a long time delay built in, but
fuses are instant, unless you get the time delay type. You will either be
blowing the fuses often, or be underprotected, unless you are very careful.
If you can't find them, you could use circuit breakers instead. You would
have to analyze your electrical loads to determine the size, which could be a
problem unless you are well versed in electrical work.

Most of the auto parts stores here carry fusible links, and they are usually
listed my auto brand. If you can't find them in your local parts store, let
me know and I'll see if I can find them for you here.

Blowing a fusible link is usually indicative of a serious electrical problem
-- I hope you have found and cured it before you replace the links.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

                    http://members.aol.com/danmas/
'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74