Re: Review! Re: Starting with clutch engaged helps thrust washers?

To: Spitfire List <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Review! Re: Starting with clutch engaged helps thrust washers?
From: Chip Mautz <clmautz@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 06:16:02 -0700 (PDT)
--- Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net> wrote:

> I tend to let the engine do a lot of the deceleration when coming to
> stop.  I watch the revs to ensure against over-revving the engine,
> but I
> feel that it saves on the brakes and doesn't really hurt the engine
> (Flames anyone?)

Classic double-clutch down shift, compression braking, is what I use.
Lots of people tell me I should just use the brakes and clutch to slow
the car, clutch in, brakes on.  The car get's wobbly that way, and it
upsets the suspension, especially on a quick turn coming up to a stop
sign.  Learned it while autox'ing years ago, and still use it, even in
my Jeep.

I use compression braking alot, and with the resulting 127k I just got
out of my original Toyota Celica's clutch, it doesn't do much to the
system.  It's got discs all around, and they're easy to replace.  But,
the compression brakign technique saves them quite a bit.

I feel that if the engine can handle the weight of the car, etc, to get
it up to speed, and you don't overrev it coming to a stop, then what
could the harm be.  It just takes a little practice (a day, maybe?) to
figure out where each gear begins and ends - not too hard.  Besides,
most redlines are set low on purpose.

I've been doing it on my '71 spitfire for 2 years (almost) now, and no
problems yet.  Engine problems haven't increased significantly (still
needs a valve job, but it needed one when I bought it), brakes are fine
(though squeaky), and it doesn't overheat.  Well, okay, it comes close
in bumper-to-bumper, but that's life.

YMMV, as always

Chip
'71 Spitfire MKIV - 'Ol Smokey, soon to get a valve job (and a rename)
'99 Wrangler Sport - the new droptop (handles straights, curves, and
mud!)

===
"I've got a PBS mind in an MTV world..." - Jimmy Buffett