Spit Hardtop Questions

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Spit Hardtop Questions
From: Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou <dougbert@rcn.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 19:51:28 -0500
Hello,

I am now the proud owner of a factory hardtop for my Spit.
Maybe some other hardtop-owner can answer a few questions?

1: The parts catalog shows a short metal tube on each of the
front attaching bolts.  It looks like these are used to fix the
spacing between the front edge of the hardtop and the top of the windscreen
frame.
Without them, you would crush the rubber gasket as you tightened the bolts.
TRF wants something ridiculous like $10 for one of these, and I could
cut them myself from 50 cents worth of metal tubing from the hardware store.
Does anyone have one that they could measure, and tell me how long it is?

2: Beneath the rear window, there are three snap fittings.  What is supposed to
snap there?  I guess it would be some sort of cover for the folded-up soft top.
Is the normal soft top cover supposed to go there, or is there a special cover?

3: Do I need to unbolt the rear edge of the soft top from the body before I put
on the hardtop, or is it designed to fit over the soft top?

4: (The inevitable question:)  What's the best way to store this thing in
a garage without scratching it, denting it, or getting the headliner messed up?
It would be sort of cool to have it suspended over the car by a block-and-tackle
arrangement, so it could be lowered into place, but this sounds like more
trouble
than it is worth...

Thanks,

Doug Braun