Re: AFTER THE REPAIR noises

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: AFTER THE REPAIR noises
From: Dean Rayner <DeanR@saville.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 15:40:05 +0100
John Kipping supplies UJ kits with the standard circlips included and
an additional 2 'thick' clips to solve the clicks.  Only a few pence
extra for the thick clips.

>I can almost guarantee that it's the u-joint slapping back and forth inside
>the yoke.  The "correct" procedure for installing u-joints in the Spitfire
>axle is to determine the installed clearance between the cups and the
>retaining ring groove and fit the "correct" thickness circlip to retain it.
> Nobody I know of in the business does this, and just fits them right out
>of the box.  Anymore, u-joints come with only one thickness clip and it's
>invariably too thin, allowing the u-joint cups to slide inside the already
>worn bores of a well used, highly stressed Spitfire axle causing the
>"click" as they encounter the circlips.  In my case, shimming with a thin
>shim cleared up the problem.  The material from an empty soda can was just
>right, and was easy enough to cut -
\_\_\_      \_\_\_      Dean Rayner           Novice -------> Premier
  \_   \_     \_   \_    City of York Scouts   91,92,93,94,95,96,97,98,99
   \_   \_     \_\_\_    Anchormen Senior D&BC 99.
    \_\_\_      \_   \_  Kingsmen D&BC '87     Cybercorps '94 - oblivion
     http://www.drayner.demon.co.uk/           ICQ 34023370